The Valparaiso Police Department, Valparaiso Fire Department and school officials are investigating two separate garbage can fires that were discovered in restrooms of the Valparaiso High School on Wednesday morning. The first incident was discovered by a teacher at 8:30 a.m. A garbage can fire in a restroom was smoldering causing a strong smell of burning when a teacher located it in the restroom. No damage was caused as a result of this incident. The second incident was discovered at 10 a.m. when smoke was located, in an area, of a second restroom on a different level of the school. A garbage can and the materials inside the can were located burning. The fire was immediately put out by staff members, but the plastic garbage can was badly damaged. No other damages occurred. Students were evacuated during the second incident. Fire and police personal were contacted and responded to the scene. Students were allowed back into the school a short time later. Police are requesting anybody that might have information regarding these incidents to contact police or text a tip to TIP411 (847-411) and enter “Valpo” in the message field prior to sending a tip. The tips are completely anonymous.
March 7th, 2018|Local News|