With temperatures dropping for the first time this winter, and chilly temperatures expected for the next week, Fire Chief Randy Novak is advising caution with space heaters and other forms of alternative heating, as well as a review of smoke alarms. Space heaters should always be kept away from loose or flammable objects such as clothing, curtains, bedding and furniture. There should be at least a three-foot perimeter around space heaters at all times. Avoid using candles or appliances, such as a stove or oven, to heat the home. Fireplaces should be regularly cleaned and inspected by a certified professional, such as a chimney sweep. Gas fireplaces should have properly working ventilation with a functioning carbon monoxide detector nearby. Fires should always be extinguished and space heaters unplugged before going to bed or leaving the home for any period of time. Do not leave space heaters on in unoccupied rooms. In addition to safe heating, do not overload electrical outlets. Working smoke alarms are important to have year round, but especially in the winter months when alternative heating sources, such as space heaters and fireplaces, are used. Space heaters account for one-third of home heating fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Test your smoke detector to make sure it works. Even if it responds correctly, if you don’t remember the last time you changed your batteries, do it today,” said Novak. “If you don’t have a smoke detector, buy one and install it. If you don’t have the funds, contact the Michigan City Fire Department to see if one can be provided.” Last year Indiana had more than 70 fire-related deaths, and in a lot of these cases there was not a working smoke alarm in the home. Smoke alarms are proven to save lives.
January 28th, 2019|Local News|