On Friday May 2nd, at approximately 10:15 AM, the Michigan City Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire in the 500 block of Pleasant Ave. Upon arrival, firefighters found a two story 2 unit structure with heavy smoke and flames showing from the second story. The initial arriving fire companies found significant smoke conditions and a fire in the bedroom and living area. The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes. The fire appears to have started in the bedroom. The cause of the fire was a child playing with a lighter and caught the mattress on fire. At the time of the fire one adult and three young children were present and exited without injury. The residents were alerted of the fire by smoke detectors that were present in the home. The tenants in the downstairs unit were not home at the time of the fire. Assisting the Michigan City Fire Department at the scene was the Michigan City Police, NIPSCO and LaPorte County EMS. The American Red Cross was notified and are working with the resident’s to offer assistance. Public Information Officer Tony Drzewiecki stated that a smoke alarm is critical for the early detection of a fire in your home and could mean the difference between life and death, and in this case it proved to be an important factor in saving Lives. Fires can occur in a variety of ways and in any room of your home. But no matter where or how, having a smoke alarm is the first key step towards your family’s safety.
May 6th, 2019|Local News|