Extension of LaPorte County Prosecuting Attorney Office COVID-19 Precautions-Due to the continuing and ongoing health emergency presented by COVID-19, I am extending the
closure of all the Prosecutor’s Offices in LaPorte and Michigan City to the public effective until Monday May 4, 2020. This includes the criminal division, child support division, and off-site victim advocate offices. This closure means the following:
1. Any reference herein to “the Prosecutor’s Offices” includes both the criminal division as well as the child support division of the Prosecutor’s Offices located in LaPorte
and Michigan City, as well as the Victim Advocate offices located at the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Department and Michigan City Police Department.
2. The Prosecutor’s Offices will be closed to the public (that means anyone other than Prosecutor’s Office employees or law enforcement officers) effective until Monday May 4, 2020. The doors to the Prosecutor’s Offices shall remain closed and secured.
3. During this time period, members of the Prosecutor’s Office staff will continue to rotate during regular office hours conducting the day-to-day work of the office that must
be completed onsite. At other times, the staff will be working remotely from home, but we will be available by phone and email. Almost all essential contact with the public can be
conducted over the phone or via email. There may be instances where a person must come to a Prosecutor’s Office in person. In that case, a representative of the Office will contact you and make the necessary arrangements. Precautionary measures for entry into the LaPorte County Buildings will be determined by the LaPorte County Commissioners, and they have already restricted access to “Emergency or extremely essential service only”
4. I and my deputy prosecutors will continue to appear in court or by video as required by our local judges and the Indiana Supreme Court to represent the State of Indiana.
5. Any and all appointments or meetings that are currently scheduled to take place in the Prosecutor’s Offices from Monday April 13, 2020 to Monday May 4, 2020 are hereby
CANCELLED. A representative from the Office will contact you to either reschedule or simply conduct business over the phone.
6. Any depositions that are currently scheduled to take place in the Prosecutor’s Office from Monday April 13, 2020 to Monday May 4, 2020 are hereby CANCELLED. The parties will reschedule them for a date after May 4, 2020.
7. Effective immediately and lasting until Monday May 4, 2020, all meetings with external stakeholders will be held remotely.
8. Effective immediately and lasting until Monday May 4, 2020, all out-of-state work travel for our staff is CANCELLED.
9. Effective immediately and lasting until Monday May 4, 2020, all in-state work travel will be reviewed and approved by the Prosecuting Attorney on a case-by-case basis.
10. A copy of this release shall be posted on the front door of the Criminal Division aswell as the Child Family Support Division of the Prosecutor’s Offices in LaPorte and
Michigan City, as well as at the Victim Advocate’s Offices in the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Department and Michigan City Police Department.
On May 4, 2020 I will reassess the situation after reviewing current information and advisories from experts in the health care and infectious disease professions.
I apologize for any inconvenience these precautionary measures may cause. Nevertheless, based on the information and guidance from the experts in the field, I believe these are responsible, proactive steps that our office can take to help curb the spread of COVID-19, protect our staff and
the public, and ensure the continued functioning of our Office