PORTER COUNTY, Ind. — A house in Liberty Township was saved after quickly being extinguished by firefighters, according to the Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department (LTVFD).

Firefighters from surrounding departments were called on Friday to a possible residential fire in the 600 block of North Calumet Avenue.

Liberty Fire Captain Alexander arrived first on scene and saw heavy smoke billowing from the eves on one side of the residence. Additional resources were called to the scene for an active fire, which included a tanker system to set up and possibly shuttle water to the scene due to no hydrants being in the immediate area.

Fire crews dropped and laid in over 800 feet of large diameter hose from Calumet Avenue to the residence located off the road to supply water to Liberty’s Engine. With the fire quickly contained and extinguished in the residence, the extent of damage remains minimal to the kitchen and minor smoke damage through the residence, according to the LTVFD.

The homeowner who was home at the time self-transported to a local hospital as a precautionary measure from smoke inhalation. The LTVFD said on Friday that the cause of the fire, —  which was in its preliminary investigation — is believed to have been started by accident in the kitchen.

While Liberty and other mutual aid units were at the fire, Liberty continued to receive calls for service that were handled by surrounding departments.  The LTVFD said that the coordination from their mutual aid departments ensured calls continued to be covered until fire units were freed up again. Mutual aid from Washington Township, Valparaiso, South Haven, Porter, Chesterton, and Burns Harbor provided assistance during the duration of the fire.

The Liberty Volunteer Fire Department says volunteer firefighters are needed across Porter County. For more information about joining Liberty Fire, send them an email at info@libertyfd.org.